Saturday, April 12, 2008

Conscious

What's the difference between the days where you want to walk down the street with your arms wide open and your face to the sky compared to the days where you just want to sink into your coat that just seems too small?

The difference is us, not the world, but us. Not the things that constantly cycle through our heads, but the action of actually getting in touch with how we feel; for once forgetting the voice in our head that constantly reminds us of everything that surrounds us, and feeling.

I'm currently reading this book, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. It's a spiritual book that focuses on 'living in the now.' I find it hard to pick up sometimes and easy to put down, but every time I  place it back on my night stand or the table that sits in front of me, I find my thoughts continuously going back to what I had just read. It talks about being in the state of consciousness and unconsciousness, this idea that to be unconscious is to allow the voice in our head become us and to be conscious is to recognize the voice and realize we have control of it and it not us.  

I guess it could sound far-fetched, absurd or ridiculous. But when it inevitably comes down to it, we all have this voice in our head, either pushing us, holding us back or just being. This book looks at this idea that society is extremely consumer based and that we define ourselves by the things we have, we own or we possess. Tolle talks about these things such as a car, a house/mansion/shack with each of these three descriptions our mind goes directly to an image. An image of the building, an image of the person that occupies that building, we, as a society have created such a materialistic world where we judge people upon what they have. This in turn leads us to feel superior if we live in a mansion or inadequate to society if we don't have a home. 

Do we have control over the things we own, or are we led and guided by the things we think we 'should' have or we 'need?'

This book is interesting, it makes me think. I recommend it to anyone. 



No comments: