Friday, November 12, 2010

Becoming level-headed

Sitting on the floor of my living room, surrounded by text books and realizing my stomach is in pain from hunger. I sit here reading through random blogs, and procrastinating as the sun sits upon the buildings that fill the space outside the sliding door.

In the midst of week two for training, I ponder the idea if running helps clear my head and thoughts? Was I a more level-headed person when I was training for my first marathon compared to when I was just running to stay in shape? Does following a running regime and sticking to it for self-satisfaction aid in the possibility of becoming more level-headed?

Yes, yes I think it does. I say this in relation to diligence. If we can't stick to something that we do for ourselves, how do we expect to accomplish anything?

Running makes everything easier. I know I have said this before, and was dumbfounded the first time someone had said it to me, but running becomes a way to release energy, stress, and bad air.

Running makes me more level-headed because it becomes the leveling factor of all other things in my life. Although challenging at times, it simplifies every step, every breath, and every beat of the heart.

To allow running to become a simplistic factor in your life, is to embrace the moments of silence when you run. It is not often that we are in a state of silence, mentally and physically, but for me, this often occurs when I run.

Running helps me become more level-headed because it is silencing. No one talks to me while I run down the street, and no one interrupts my swift movements, it is merely the road and I making our own soundtrack and competing in our own race. Take it as you want it.

Week 2:
11 miles completed
14 miles to go
Average pace 8:03

Run on.

No comments: